Sunday, February 8, 2009

Graduation Class of 2008: Colleen Charsky



First I would like to thank my fellow Partners for allowing me the honor of representing them today. As usual we have so much to say with so little time.

We would like to thank the DDPC for funding such an incredible program. The quality of presenters cannot be matched. Additionally the sense of confidence and empowerment that this program gave to us is priceless. It is equally vital to mention the importance and gratitude for allowing us to travel and physically meet with one another at least once a month. It is this face-to-face interaction that has allowed us to forge the bonds and shape us as individuals that will impact the disability community, and us, for years to come.

One person described how Partners impacted her this way: ”It has provided me with the tools to take my journey to the next level. Partners has taught me that no matter what I thought I knew, I was lacking in one very important area--the human experience. Through this very valuable program I have come to know and love my Partners, individuals from all different regions with a variety of experiences. I have learned that as humans we all have preconceived notions or biases. With the Partners program you are forced to leave all that at the door, and engage in each activity, lesson and experience equally as colleagues. What I most learned from the program is friendship comes in many shapes and sizes. Our common thread is our humanity.”

We would like to believe that as a result of the tireless efforts of Partner’s graduates and other advocates, there would no longer be a need for disability awareness and advocacy. But until that time Partners in Policymaking always should be continued.

To the speakers- we appreciate your willingness to take precious time away from your families to come and share with us. The information you imparted to us is priceless. Additionally, your genuine concern for our growth and to listen to our individual stories has not gone unnoticed.

Words cannot express the depth of our gratitude to Joyce Steele for the countless hours she has invested in us. She has done an incredible job in continuing to put together a first-class program each month. Joyce was always available and embodied a warm, caring, welcoming atmosphere. She touched our hearts and nurtured our dreams.
Thank you Joyce.

As for our families we’d like to thank you for stepping up and carrying an extra burden while we were away doing our important business. Your sacrifices have been one of the key factors for us graduating today. We’ve had to micro manage and coordinate our schedules, miss important events, and handle crises over the phone. But through it all, you were there to support and encourage us.

I felt in order to represent the class as a whole I would read some of their comments as to how Partners impacted them:

• I found out that I could be away from my family and they can do just fine without me.
• I made new friends at a time in my life when new friends are hard to come by.
• I now appreciate my own perspective and to know that sometimes we have more questions than answers and this is o.k.
• I have grown to become part of a community that advocates inclusion in all areas.
• I know that I am not alone in a world that can be isolating.
• I have grown to appreciate all the diversity in humanity that God has created and that each person is a miracle and a gift.
• I feel that I am a much better person because of this course. It has opened not only my mind but my heart as well.
• I learned we are all human and made mistakes along the way… and continue to make mistakes, but we are here to support each other.
• You can do more than you think you can. Challenge yourself! When you do, you accomplish much and you feel wonderful.
• Partners affected me as a person by increasing my comfort and confidence level in speaking to and understanding people with disabilities.
• I realized that sometimes we are our own worse enemy. Sometimes we are afraid to dream too big for fear of being let down. Sometimes we don’t want to take that big step of letting go, for fear of us, or even worse, our loved one being hurt or disappointed. Now I dream big and expect results.
• Partners helped me make new friends with people from all backgrounds, with different pasts and different challenges. I am so much more comfortable with new people as a result of the friends I've made here. I'm much more likely to help strangers now, too.
• It is my hope and desire to take the tools and the knowledge I have obtained in this Partners program, along with my drive, to make an impact not only with my son, but with other families of children who may need additional support.

and finally….

• Never underestimate the power of cookies!!


Therefore, as we prepare to end our training, let us pause for a moment and remember that when we first arrived, we were individuals with stories, now we are a team with a purpose and a vision for the future.

We arrived less prepared to overcome the obstacles as individuals, but now, we are equipped and energized to face these obstacles together. As a team, we now have strength, encouragement, hope, and determination upon which to draw. We have grown through this experience and are compelled to go forth with competence and confidence. We no longer stand alone, but unified as a team to improve our community, in disability equality, accessibility, and acceptance.

Thank you for the privilege of being your partner.

NYS Partners In Policymaking Class of 2008!!!!!!!!!



Updated to add pictures. Note State Senator Breslin in the top left corner!

Photo by JB, PIP Class of 02.

No comments:

Post a Comment