Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Jennifer Machucki, Buffalo, Class of '03



I learned about the Partners in Policymaking program while I was a social work intern from the University at Buffalo completing my second year internship at the Self Advocacy Association of New York State. In May of 2001, I graduated from UB with my MSW and was hired by the Self Advocacy Association as an AmeriCorps Member. After completed my term of service with AmeriCorps, I applied and was accepted into the 2003 Partners in Policymaking class.

Since graduating from Partners I worked for the WNYDDSO as a social worker from April 2004 to February 2005. Also in 2005,I bought a condominium in Williamsville NY. I used some of skills I learned in Partners to obtain a Community Development Block Grant from HUD which I use to improve the accessibility of my Condominium. The skills I learned in Partners also helped me find a way to have my cat Candy declared an emotional support animal so we could remain together despite the condominium's no pet policy. My experience in Partners gave my the confidence I needed to take the social work licensure exam which I took and passed with flying colors in April of 2005. I finished the test in less time and got a better score than my sister which was a pleasant surprise to both of us.

In June of 2007, I got a job as a Transportation Coordinator at People Incorporated and became an aunt for the first time. My niece \ god daughter Claire loves music, dancing, cats and being spoiled rotten my her aunt "Denny" I am looking forward to becoming an aunt again in August.

I've been a member of the Developmental Disabilities Awareness Day planning committee since October of 2000. When I first became a member of the committee, I didn't know anyone on the committee nor had I ever been to the conference. For these reasons, I sent my first year on the committee listening to what was said at meetings and doing what I was asked to do. Over the past nine years, I have developed good working relationships with the other members of the committee, I actively participate in meetings, have a clear understanding of my role on the committee and regularly volunteer to participate in television interviews that publicize the conference. Next year I will be the chairperson for the tee-shirt committee.
In April of this year I lost my job at People Incorporated. I am currently job searching and considering my career options. I am thinking about writing a book, becoming a Life Coach or learning to train service dogs.

Picture: Jennifer Machucki '03 (bottom L), Terri Abrams '02 with Speaker, Kathie Snow (bottom R) at Developmental Disabilities Awareness Day in Buffalo 5/09.

No comments:

Post a Comment